This is our story....of love, life, and adoption

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

God's hand in our lives



Sometimes the realization comes at such a mundane moment. I have never doubted God's hand in my life everyday. But sometimes I seem to forget the timing of everything and am reminded of it in such a simple way.
I never get off of work early. NEVER. But today I did and I was feeling quite "beat" by this wait. I was tired and was going to go home and take a nap. I debated going to the library again(which is FARRRRR from where I live-but that's another story). I blew it off yesterday, but was invited to an adoption/book club thingy and needed to get the books. So I reluctantly went to the FARRRR away library to get the books I needed. They only had one. But that was okay. I went to check out and the woman checking me out asked me if I was doing a research paper(so I liked this women for thinking I was still in school). "no" I told her. Then she asked if we were adopting. "yes"(okay this is looking better). She then told me she was "jealous" and started to reluctantly ask me questions.
I could tell she was upset. She told me a little bit of her story and how she had researched adoption, but it cost too much....etc... I talked to her for about 30 minutes, all about adoption, how the money just works itself out...I told her not to give up on her dreams just because of finances..etc...etc...etc. I ended up giving her my number and email address so she could contact me with all her questions. I could tell she felt beat, but now she had met someone with information. She told me that she would email me if that was okay. I could tell she needed some support. As I left and was sitting in my car, I had this overwhelming sense of goodness. I knew that I was supposed to be there at that moment, on this day, to cross paths with her. And it also was a huge reminder to me that the timing of this whole thing will be right, no matter how long it takes. I don't know if she'll email me, I hope she does. And even though this meeting seems so incidental , I KNOW it was God's hand at work; if not for her, then as a reminder for me.

13 comments:

4D said...

That is wonderful! You helped someone who needed answers and because of that, this persons life might be altered or enhanced. You are fab!

Keep smilin!

Abby's Mom said...

This journey and the connections that we make has never ceased to amaze me :)

Sarah said...

It amazes me that so many people think that international adoption is only for the filthy rich. It seems like the general population has no idea about the adoption tax credit. When you figure out how much a pregnancy costs with hospital visit, office copays, medications, lost work due to bad days like first trimester nausea, more expensive nutritious foods, etc... it's not so bad at all! Okay, that's enough. I'm preaching to the choir here.

C's Mom said...

Yup, I'm not much of a believer in coincidence.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful thing to do. I hope she does contact you. I felt the same way in the beginning, like I would never be able to afford it, do it, etc. But it worked out just as it should. I know there was something bigger going to get me through it.

Pug Mama said...

awesome, I hope she emails you also!

TaiwanMommy said...

Isn't it cool when you can feel the hand of God on you?

Say, maybe when you go to return that book you can bring your "friend" some info off the internet to read.. seal it in an envelope, you know?

Oh, and BTW- Michael's name is "Michael", Kyra renamed him "Bob" a long time ago. Now EVERYONE calls him that.. even his friends at school. He's Bob, she's Joe. My family is so weird..

xoxox
me

P.S.
Thank you for my "thinking blogger" award!! :)

Sherry said...

Your such a sweetheart! What a great story! You will have to run in to this lady again & see if she has re-thought adoption. I hope so...now that would make for an amazing story:)

Anonymous said...

I believe in things like this, Ann. God is amazing when it comes to like this. YOu are just the right person that lady needed esp. that she wanted to adopt and she did not know the answer and you are just the right person to talk to her.

Jennefer said...

What a great story! I love the knowledge that God knows and loves us and his hand is in all things.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ann, what a blessing you must have been to that woman! I hope you hear from her again.

MOM said...

Ann,
Nice story and a nice reminder! I hope you will hear that this woman is able to go ahead and pursue adoption.
Blessings, Debbie

Jennifer, Billy,Samantha and Taylor said...

Hi Ann, I as always enjoy your blog. How did you download the month ticker on here. I right clicked it and set up everything for my blog but couldn't ever get it onto it. I am also very clueless how to do anything technical or remotely difficult on the computer. If you can magically put one on my blog, that would be awesome! I want a ticker too.

Jennifer P.