This is our story....of love, life, and adoption

Thursday, July 20, 2006

So do you think he's born yet?

**first off let me say that we refer to our baby as a he. Why? b/c our agency has told us that since we didn't specify gender on our request we will probably be referred a boy. With that in mind it's easier to say "he" verses "he/she, him/her, or it"" We don't have a preference aside from a healthy child**

Okay that being said, this question came up at work the other day. "so do you think he's born yet?".

Wow...do we think he's born yet. Well no. We think he's conceived, but not born yet. "But"...they tell me... " If when you get him home he'll be somewhere around 8-12 months old, and you expect to have him home around this time next year, then he's probably born"

So I think about this and I'm resistant to it. "no, he's not born yet"

"But Ann..."

So I think about it some more. We expect our referral sometime between December and February..March at the latest. December being 9 months on the waiting list and at the very freaking out stage of 12 months of waiting..March. Calculations going on in my head(y'all know I'm not good at math) that would mean....
"NO He's not born YET"

So now I'm at the stage of trying to figure out "if he's eight months old when we get home..then he would be born around...if he's 9 months old"

MY head hurts. I guess I just go with my gut. I don't "feel" like he's born yet. Actually I "feel" like he's just into the second trimester of development. But my gosh that question really got me thinking...

OMG I wonder if he's born yet?

9 comments:

C's Mom said...

That's on my mind too a lot. There was a time I thought probably so but as the referral with becomes longer I doubt my girl is here quite yet.

Write down your feelings. It will be interesting to see what happened on days when you had a 'special' inkling of something.

Anonymous said...

Wow Ann. This really got me thinking too for you. I wonder if your lil man is born yet. If not, I wonder how far developed in the womb he is. I love this post Ann. Hoping he is here and comes into your loving arms soon.

Kristin said...

I did this too... I was always calculating just when Eva would have been born. When we received our referral and saw her birthdate, I rushed to my calendar in the hopes that I would have been doing something really profound or signifcant on her birthday only to realize that I had been getting my hair done. LAME-O!

Anonymous said...

I do hope that when he is born he will be a healthy baby boy!

Monkey said...

I had the same thoughts the other day. It will be cool to look back on when we actually get our little ones. I dont think munchkin is born yet but I have a feeling its getting close. I think definitely he/she has been conceived. Dont think too much. lol

island jen said...

hmmmm....you never know...he could be here now!!

M3 said...

Tough question - I used to think about it a lot, and then I just kind of ran out of brainpower. I guess for sure our kiddo is born now, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

TaiwanMommy said...

Ann- wherever he is, in utero, or in an orphanage, he's a lucky LUCKY little guy to get you for a mama. I think he HAS been born. I think he was born on April 14th, and that you'll get your referral on Jan 4th. He'll be nine months old. This message brought to you by your favorite Gypsy Fortune teller! :)

Anonymous said...

We would get comments like that all of the time and they would always freak me out. Now of course we know she is born because we just met her! It is so hard to know our child is half way across the world and doesn't even know us. I think it is best to think they haven't been born until you meet (or at least get a picture).